Portugal agent Jorge Mendes is pushing for Newcastle to hire an Italian coach to replace Steve Bruce, according to a report.
The former defender left St James’ Park by mutual agreement on October 20. His departure was a direct result of the massive Â£ 305million club takeover which is expected to catapult them into the Premier League rankings in the future.
Newcastle officials have installed Graeme Jones as interim boss while they search for Bruce’s successor.
Paulo Fonseca is one of the targets of the rumor. The 48-year-old has managed Porto, Braga and Roma so far in his career.
He was in contention for the Tottenham post ahead of Nuno Espirito Santo’s appointment this summer. Fonseca are said to be “confident” in securing the role of Newcastle thanks to his ambitious January transfer plan.
Another candidate is Lucien Favre, 63 years old. He has been out of work since leaving Borussia Dortmund in December 2020.
A new name has now appeared as part of the managerial hunt. Goal, citing articles from the Italian press, claim that Mendes offered Italian legend Gennaro Gattuso in Newcastle.
The former midfielder is a free agent after leaving Napoli earlier this year. He, too, was linked with the vacant Spurs post before President Daniel Levy vetoed a deal.
Gattuso is now under consideration on Tyneside, although it is not clear if a move could take place. Questions remain about the fiery nature of the 43-year-old and if he would be able to take Newcastle to the next level.
The report says Newcastle’s new boss will be announced in the coming weeks. They could be revealed during the international truce in November.
Everyone involved with Newcastle will no doubt be excited about what the future holds. The Magpies could follow in Man City’s footsteps by breaking into the English top flight.
Prem Predictions: Nuno will put salt in Solskjaer’s wounds; Liverpool let off steam; a “last minute” for Leeds
Acting boss sends Newcastle warning in January
Meanwhile, interim manager Jones urged his bosses not to make “big changes” in January.
At Friday’s press conference, he said: âI think we have a good core here. For various reasons we started off badly, that’s the truth. There is no one more important than the core of players in this football club.
âI can assure you that they care about this club. Lots of guys have been here for a long time.
âI see January as an opportunity to help the group that is here. You cannot make bulk changes. The most important thing is to make the most of the base players here every now and then and January will be a bonus. “
Newcastle host Chelsea at St James’ Park on Saturday in the Premier League.
READ MORE: Rival transfer cited as rising price for exciting Newcastle target