SYRACUSE – According to the Food Bank of Central New York, about 178,000 central New Yorkers are food insecure – in other words, they don’t have access to enough food to meet their basic needs. The Food Bank’s 2017 Hunger Assessment found that 29% of people who depend on charitable food programs in central and upstate New York are children.
September is Fight Hunger Month and there are many events organized to fight hunger at CNY and beyond.
“With so many ways for people to take action against hunger, we invite the community to join us in making a difference in the lives of those experiencing hunger,” said Karen Belcher, Executive Director of the bank. CNY food. “Together we can solve hunger.”
Read on to find out how to help:
• Ford Ford of Clay is collecting non-perishable food donations until September 20. The dealer will pay $ 1 per pound of food donated.
• Feed my hungry children: Vineyard Church in Syracuse is looking for volunteers to prepare meals for the FMSC between September 15-18. To register, go to wineny.org.
• Infusions and bites: The second installment of Brews & Bites takes place from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 16 at Talking Cursive Brewing Co., 301 Erie Blvd. West, Syracuse. Your $ 20 donation will get you a pint and a food voucher. Visit foodbankcny.org/events/show/brews-and-bites to purchase tickets.
• Filling a bus: The Liverpool Chapter of Blessings in a Backpack collects shelf-stable foods for the Seymour Dual Language Academy in Syracuse. Drop off your donations between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday, September 18 at Walmart on Route 31 in Liverpool. Among the items needed are ready-to-serve soups with easy-open lids, microwave macaroni and cheese cups, Chef Boyardee, nut-free fruit and cereal breakfast bars, boxes or sachets of 100% juice, applesauce or fruit cups. St. Paul’s, St. Matthews, First United Methodist or Liverpool First Presbyterian Church are also accepting donations until September 26.
• Cuts for a cause: The Independent Potters’ Association of CNY is hosting this virtual fundraiser for the Food Bank of CNY and the Caden’s Wish Break Box program on Facebook at 7 p.m. on Monday, September 20. For every $ 75 donation made on the Cups for a Cause event site, the donor will be able to choose a pair of craft cups as a thank you for their support of the Food Bank. Visit foodbankcny.org/events/show/cups-for-a-cause to learn more.
• Food Truck Battle: Syracuse and Rochester’s best food trucks compete at the NYS Fairgrounds from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday, September 25. Sample delicious food and drinks, music, a kids’ area, and craft vendors. Tickets cost $ 5 and proceeds will go to three local charities, including the Food Bank.
• Syracuse dishes: The season ends with a five-game series against the Buffalo Bisons. Show your support for the Syracuse Mets during the game, but be sure to bring your donation of non-perishable food to fill the truck up before the first pitch. Visit milb.com/syracuse for tickets.
For more information on Anti Hunger Month and the work of the Food Bank, please contact Lynn Hy at [email protected] or 315-437-1899 ext. 247.